The Eminence 2019 application is now open. The deadline to apply has been moved up to November 9, 2018.
In keeping with the mission of the Eminence Fellows, the selection committee looks for students who have demonstrated potential as leaders and academic scholars both inside and outside the classroom. Applicants should be driven to excel and be interested in the support of a small community of peers.
Criteria and Eligibility
Only U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply.
All applicants must apply to the Ohio State University Honors Program.
Fellows are selected on the basis of outstanding potential and all majors are encouraged to apply. There is no "typical" Eminence Fellow.
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Strong standardized test scores and GPA
- Top 10% (and above) class rank
- Curiosity as demonstrated by research or equivalent experiences
- Demonstrated commitment to a cause, program, issue, or idea
- Demonstrated commitment to improving life for others
- Written expression through essays (Common/Coalition and Eminence)
- Video introduction through a 2-minute YouTube link
Additional consideration will be given to:
- Service that extends beyond high school organizations and groups
- Leadership that threads through academics and service
- Depth and breadth in involvement, experiences, and leadership
- Collaborative spirit and teamwork-inspired experiences
How to Apply
- Applicants must meet the November 1 early action deadline. When completing the admissions application, applicants must indicate their interest in University Honors and complete the associated essay.
- Within 1-5 days, the applicant will receive an email that acknowledges Ohio State's receipt of the student's admission application and provides a unique Ohio State username (lastname.#), along with instructions on activating this username and setting up a password.
- Applicants must then complete the Eminence Application by the November 9 deadline. The applicant's Ohio State username and password are required to apply. The applicant does not need to wait for an OSU admission decision to submit the Eminence application.
Components of the Eminence Application
There are two components of the Eminence Application:
- Eminence Essay
- Video Introduction (via an unlisted YouTube link)
The Scholarship Selection Committee will have access to the student's Common Application and will consider it in the selection process.
Approximately 75 students will be selected as finalists and be invited to interview with a small panel consisting of the Eminence Program Manager, faculty, and staff. This interview will take place via Skype/Zoom and be scheduled ahead of Finalist Weekend (March 1 & 2, 2019) beginning in late January. More details of this interview will be emailed directly to the finalists.
During Finalist Weekend, finalists will participate in a Buckeye immersion experience. The weekend will be dedicated to sharing the best the University has to offer and providing a glimpse of the Eminence experience. Friday, March 1st will include individual department visits, group activities, and targeted Honors and Eminence overviews that precede a special Finalist dinner that evening at The Blackwell Inn and Pfahl Conference Center https://www.theblackwell.com/. Finalists will receive a comprehensive overview of The Ohio State University on Saturday through Buckeye Bound.
Requirements of the Program
To remain in good standing as Eminence Fellows, students are required to:
- Gain admission to the University Honors Program and maintain Honors status every semester.
- Contribute to their class service project and embrace the collaborative spirit of "giving back."
- Complete an Honors Thesis or other capstone requirement for graduation with Honors Research Distinction.
- Participate in the weekend-long Eminence First Year Retreat held in Hocking Hills, Ohio.
- Contribute to and be involved with Eminence Program initiatives through regular attendance and/or participation in Eminence leadership opportunities.