As Eminence Fellows, students have many opportunities to meet with University and Community leaders, and build a community of peers through social and team building activities. Below are a few examples of what students will be involved in as an Eminence Fellow.
The Eminence Fellows started the Symposium to hear from and connect with some of the most successful professionals in Columbus. The 2014 Eminence Leadership Council sought a conference setting with informative small-group discussion and began the annual event. Since then, the Symposium has been sucessfully hosted twice, providing Eminence students valuable advice from industry leaders.
The 2015 Eminence Symposium was a full-day event and hosted eleven distinguished faculty and community members from a variety of disciplines as well as talks by highly accomplished Buckeye alums and seniors.
- Jeni Britton – Bauer, Founder and CCO, Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams – Keynote Speaker
- Scott Boles, Owner of Yabo's Tacos and Co-founder of GETDOT
- Coach Jeff Boals, Assistant Coach for the OSU Basketball Team
- Alex Chaitoff, Honors Alum, Truman and Marshall Scholar, and current medical student at the Cleveland Clinic
- The Honorable Algenon L. Marbley, U.S. District Court Judge
- Peter Mansoor, Retired U.S. Army Colonel and Professor of Military History
- Ellen Mosley-Thompson, Distinguished Professor of Geography
- Patrick S. Vaccaro, M.D., Professor, Vascular Surgery
- Paul Weber, M.D., Professor and Glaucoma Specialist
- Cam Williams, Director of Operations, Hot Chicken Takeover
- Jessica Winter, Professor, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
An Evening With...
An opportunity to meet and hear from a distinguished university or community leader in an small, intimate setting. Past speakers include OSU President Michael Drake, Director of the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity, Sharon Davies, and past State Representative and attorney, John Carney.
Eminence fellows have the opportunity to exchange ideas and engage in lively discussion through numerous Salons that are offered throughout the year. Salons provide a social venue where fellows gather to consider pressing social issues or compelling ideas and are led by individuals well-versed in the selected topics. Past salons topics include….
- Discussion of childhood poverty and related issues with staff attorney from the Ohio Poverty Law Center, Sarah Biehl
- A look at depression, anxiety, and other mental health related issues among college with Dr. Micky Sharma, the Director of Counseling and Consultation at Ohio State
- A first hand glimpse of the Syrian refugee crisis with Eminence junior Fellow, Abd Al-Rahman Traboulsi, who travels to Syria each summer to work with the people affected
Fall Welcome Back BBQ
Chill & Chat
Freshman Faculty Lunch
Spring Reception and Senior Recognition